[ih] Internet/Wireless Principle of Levelness

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Nov 11 13:15:34 PST 2019

I hadn't thought of that but it's quite possible.  Good observation.  To
us Users, the Internet is just a big mysterious black box with no one in
charge.

That "gaming app" was actually a scheme for operating radios from across
the 'net during amateur radio contests.  That probably appears to
network operators as minor miscellaneous traffic of unknown purpose.   I
characterize it as "gaming" because it has similar traffic
characteristics.   We never could figure out if the apps tried to use
any of the obscure "knobs" of the Internet, like TOS settings in packet
headers, or whether or not such settings would make any difference in
how the packets were actually handled.

I suppose it's possible that the big real Gaming app operators pay the
network operators to give their traffic the appropriate service.  So
packets recognized by the operators as some kind of preferred customer
would get different treatment from my friend's packets.

I've wondered how the politicians expected violations of Net Neutrality
law to be detected and investigated.   Who can tell that their packets
are getting any different treatment...?   What tools could the cops use
to figure out what was happening...?

Makes we wonder if there ever was Net Neutrality at all in the actual
operating Internet.

The original ARPANET days and NOC keep coming to mind.  Network
management extended all the way to the ends at the users, e.g., with
things like the machine in the NOC that continuously dialed TIP ports
all over the country to see if they were working.   It seems like nobody
in today's operators takes an end-user service responsibility.

After 40 years, I'm curious whether that "routers built by anyone"
directive and resultant mechanisms starting with EGP were a Good Idea,
or a Horrible one....

/Jack