[ih] John Nagle- "On Packet Switches With Infinite Storage" (1985)

Tony Li via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Mon Nov 11 15:57:30 PST 2019

> Has a suitably skeptical economist studied why buffer bloat
> makes money for operators? It must do, or they would avoid it.

You’re assuming that operators understand buffer bloat.

Please recall that when we commercialized the Internet and then sold it off to the telco’s that many competent people promptly retired.

And then things scaled and the number of clue-full operator engineers per subscriber asymptoted to zero. And the ones left are busy fighting fires.

Operators do not understand buffer bloat. Customer service reads from scripts that start with ‘please reboot your Windows host’. Debugging
transient problems is effectively impossible.

It’s a commodity service market, and the focus is on maximizing profitability, not providing high-quality service.

Tony