[ih] Where was the first host name table?

Wayne Hathaway wayne at playaholic.com
Thu Mar 28 14:48:32 PDT 2019

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 23:35:17 -0400, John Day wrote:

>> Again we have another example of “the effect of T. S. Eliot on Shakespeare.”
>>
>> It was a short table. Everyone’s implementation did their own table. I think the official list was at the NIC. That was before the network map would no longer fit on one 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and you couldn’t print who was up and who was down from a well-known port at the NMC.

True it was short, but getting bigger all the time.  I was responsible for Ames-67, a TSS/360 timesharing
system at NASA Ames Research Center, and having never heard of daemon processes or anything but
getting more and more tired of manually trying to keep our host table in sync with the NIC, I implemented
something to automatically connect to the NIC once a week (4:00am on Monday IIRC) and download the
latest table.  Primitive but effective, kinda like everything we did back then.

wayne