[ih] Internet or internet i

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Mar 13 05:31:48 PDT 2019

CNRI fought a 10 year battle over the use of the term "Internet" - the MOST
ATM system got a trademark on "Internet" somewhere around 1988/1990
(guessing) and I discovered that while I was VP at CNRI. Bob Kahn's wife,
Patrice, is a copyright attorney and fought over this misappropriation that
was aided by a clueless trademark office. After 10 years and $100K
underwritten by CNRI, the Trademark Tribunal agreed that the term
"Internet" had to refer to the global network we have all built. The bank
group that trademarked the term did not use it to refer to their ATM system
(which they called MOST) -I think they only used in to refer to their
newsletter or something. Copying Bob K and Patrice L to repair any damage I
may have done to facts.

vint