[ih] Where was the first host name table?

reed at reedmedia.net reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Mar 11 19:46:58 PDT 2019

RFC 15 (1969-09-25) says the telnet access to a serving host connects
using an official site name, such as SRI, UCLA, UCSB, or UTAH.

But where or how are these names mapped to its network address?
What would map UCLA to 1 and SRI to 2 and USCB to 3 and UTAH to 4 for
example?

Does this name mapping source code and data exist?

RFC 11 about the Operating System of the UCLA HOST describes some tables
for remote host number, connection number, and input link number. If I
am reading correctly 3.4.1(a)(ii) alphabetical letters map to a bit for
the link number.

Any other early documentation on mapping names to numbers?
Also would an early mapping need to know a link number and a host
number?

I see RFC 76 (1970-10) proposes a way to ask a host for socket number
by name (such as TTY). But how to get to that host in the first place
using a name?

RFC 606 (1973-12) says each site maintains its on host list. An example
of names are in RFC 235 Site status and later updates. I don't see any
standard format until proposed in RFC 606 and then RFC 608 (1974-01)
which first introduces HOSTS.TXT. (Or where is HOSTS.TXT as a name
documented prior to that?)

I'd like to understand the use of names between systems prior to
HOSTS.TXT.

(By the way, are there any recorded or logged output of TELNET, FTP, and
FTP MAIL sessions in that early 1970's environment, so I can better
understand the real use?)

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \