[ih] Early use of the "Internet" term (1977)

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Fri Jun 14 14:53:51 PDT 2019

The fact that ARCnet was essentially a plug-and-play system for converting 3270 terminal clusters - wire and all - into PC clusters was a huge selling point for departmental computing in the mid ‘80s and beyond. With a Novell file & print server, 3270 emulation and file transfer on your PCs, a shared laser printer and a 3270 LAN gateway you were good to go.

Classic Ethernet’s biggest flaw was its lack of the star topology used for office power, phones, and 3270s. Multi-port transceivers for Cheapernet remedied this, but they were very pricey before 10BASE-T.

Metcalfe & crew believed active hubs would be bottlenecks, but that idea never made much sense; the active hub just needs to be as fast as each individual node.

RB

—