[ih] "Father of e-Marketing"

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jun 1 09:42:54 PDT 2019

Mumble -- Like most marketing, I think it depends on how you define it/when
you start counting.    Certainly, people used the telegraph, telex, faxes,
phones, and the like  to "cold call" / "get the message out" to possible
clients/customers before the original DEC spam was sent in the 'modern
era.'   On the other hand, I've always thought of this action as the first
recorded use email for marketing with the Arpanet/Internet (it was not yet
called spam).

BTW;  I'm not sure where the term "spam" originated (other than the
reference to Monty Python's skit to describe the issue).   I think it was
somewhere in one of the netnews groups on the UUCP network actually (that
was certainly where I first saw it and it was a bigger issue there since
the links were dial-up).  Somebody like Mary Ann Horton might be a good
person to ask about that.

Clem
ᐧ