[ih] Hourglass model question

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Jul 5 20:56:14 PDT 2019

On 7/5/2019 7:24 PM, Steve Crocker wrote:
> With apology, what was USING?
>
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 10:23 PM John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net
> <mailto:jeanjour at comcast.net>> wrote:
>     If collaboration of people was one of the main goals, why was USING
>     turned off? That seemed to be a hot bed of collaboration with great
>     potential.

USING was the Users Interest Network Group.  I co-chaired it with Nancy
Neigus, and the 'sponsorship' of Craig Fields, then of Arpa:

      https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc585/

It was yet-another very early and spontaneous effort, with an initial
task of figuring what it was for.

The RFC summarized this as:

    The group will devote itself to lobbying on behalf of user interests,
    to promoting and facilitating resource sharing, to improving user
    interfaces (support), and to studies of standardization.  The
    ultimate goal will be provide users identification of, and
    facilitated access to, whatever resources on the Network they might
    wish to use.

I've seen various explanations of why we shut down, but my own
recollection is that we simply could not gain enough traction.  That is,
not a broad enough based of community interest.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking