[ih] Internet History Lives on the Internet?

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Feb 25 15:21:08 PST 2019

The lawsuit is in the “cease and desist letter” stage at this point and will be filed in the UK. It was in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/22/internet-archives-ebook-loans-face-uk-copyright-challenge

The Canadian writers are likely to follow suit, as they say.

RB

> On Feb 25, 2019, at 4:07 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
> In article <13E24D46-C5E0-493F-808B-8E9D68EF2C82 at bennett.com> you write:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> Here’s a link to a story on the lawsuit:
>>
>> https://teleread.org/2017/12/19/the-internet-archives-openlibrary-project-violates-copyright-the-authors-guild-warns/
>
> This article says the Authors Guild has been complaining but there's no suit.  Is there some other article we missed?
>
> Given how thoroughly they got thrashed by the Hathitrust and Google
> Books suits, I'm not surprised if they're gun shy now.
>
> FWIW, the National Writer's Union feels the same way, but can't afford
> the cost of the suit.  Ed Hasbrouck, head of their book subgroup (and
> I suppose my shop steward) told me so over dinner last year.

—
Richard Bennett
High Tech Forum <http://hightechforum.org/> Founder
Ethernet & Wi-Fi standards co-creator