[ih] Internet History Lives on the Internet?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Feb 25 08:52:39 PST 2019

On 2/24/19 7:09 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 11:36 AM, Miles Fidelman
> <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net <mailto:mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>> wrote:
>
>> $25, at 1% interest,
>> would "endow" a Gig of reliable storage, "forever" (think about how we
>> pay for perpetual care of a gravesite.
>>
>> What's missing is a legal & accounting mechanism for handling the
>> money
>
> You’re forgetting the people cost to run it all.

Ok.. the price goes up a little.  I'm also thinking that one can
probably get more than 1% interest on long-term investments (unless the
world economy tanks, of course).

I'm thinking that this one subcontracts to a federation of ISPs, hosting
providers, etc. - where the incremental cost of managing larger disk
farms is pretty low.  (Hell, Amazon S3 long-term storage is down in that
price range).  The key missing piece is the translation from money
deposited in interest bearing accounts, to contracts to multiple storage
providers.  (There are several self-healing stacks for managing large
distributed storage pools. TAHOE-LAFS comes to mind.)

> And graves aren’t perpetual.
> https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/perpetual-cemetery-care-its-not-eternal-care

Tell me about it.  I'm in the process of setting stuff up for my Dad's
grave.  Sigh...

Miles

> Joe

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra