[ih] ARPANET 50-year anniversary panel session with Vint, Steve Crocker, and others

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Sun Feb 24 07:42:11 PST 2019

Joe Touch <touch at strayalpha.com> writes:

> On Feb 23, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:
>
>     But "internet-history at postel.org", and others like it, even RFC
>     repositories, likely exist at the whim of their sponsor.
>
> Indeed - even assuming volunteers run them - they’re’s still the issue
> of hosting and net access.
>
> I have old repositories (end2end-interest, for one) that even the ISOC
> has declined to host (even though the E2E-RG originated there).
>
> Then again, if you want to see the worst of “free riders”, go attend
> an IETF. Companies send armies there for free training and free
> consulting.
>
> PS - speaking as list admin, if anyone wants to offer a place to host
> this list more reliably and archivally, please do let me know (contact
> me directly off-list).

My email list server currently lives on linode in the cloud. The cost is
$5/month for 25GB of SSD storage. ( https://www.linode.com/pricing
). Has IPv6 and IPv4. It's paid for via a patreon donation.

It's not like I'm using much of that box - or the bandwidth available -
how big are these archives?

I wouldn't mind sharing that existing list server, but I long ago
switched to violating whatever RFC it was that said starttls was a
"should" - to *mandate* starttls only - which cuts down on spam (and
sigh, about 13% of my measured potential correspondents, still). The
biggest administrative cost I'd had was dealing with spam.

If that's not an acceptable policy for these lists/archives, well, go
burn the 5 bucks/mo on yer own.