[ih] Fwd: When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:48:08 PST 2019

On 2019-02-19 16:35, Bill Ricker wrote:
> Vint says
>> not so richard. By 1983, DOD had officially endorsed OSI.
>
> Indeed.
> DoD formal endorsement of OSI was Mike Padlipsky's cross to bear.
> His portion of our Department at MITRE was on the DODIIS procurement.
> (DODIIS was the compartmented secure fork of the MILNET fork of the DARPA
> Internet for "the community".)
> "They" were very unhappy with his pointed commentary on ISO OSI not being
> ready for real use, let alone being "bad art".
> Luckily his pointedest papers were approved for public release in 1982.
>
> I erred in replying off-list over the weekend -- remedied below.

And an updated version of my off-list reply is inserted below...

> --
> Bill Ricker
> The Literary Estate of M.A.P.
> <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>

They still make fun reads. Two points:

1) Most of his arguments equate OSI with X.25/X.75 at layer 3. Of course,
those of us actually trying to adopt OSI for research networking mainly
rejected that approach and were only interested in CLNP. ISO/IEC 8473:1986
was the first formal CLNP standard, but it was surely in discussion by 1982.
I implemented a toy version of ISO DIS 8473 in early 1984, where the tricky
bit was fragmentation and reassembly, since our in-house network at CERN
had a criminally small MTU size. Unfortunately I have no archives from
that period.

A little bit of virtual dumpster diving reveals that the ballot version of
DIS 8473 was also numbered SC6/N1534, but I haven't found exactly when it
was posted for the committee ballot. However, being in Geneva we had no
great trouble getting hold of early drafts.

2) The analysis in RFC873 "THE ILLUSION OF VENDOR SUPPORT" was spot on.
Many of us were in fact fooled into believing that the products would
come at a reasonable cost.

   Brian