[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Feb 16 15:07:24 PST 2019

> And OSI had one convincing argument: bigger addresses, for those
> who already believed that 32 bits was insufficient.

When I was managing parallel development efforts of both TCP and OSI
stacks, I don't recall hearing from any of my customers that they were
concerned about address space.

This was in the late 1980s, long before the Web.

They were concerned about turn-key operations and interoperability.
They got that from the TCP stack.  They never really got it from OSI.

Since OSI was the official strategic choice of countries and companies,
but some had been using TCP, we started asking about their needs to
tools to support their transition from TCP to OSI.  What we got back was
a resounding and strong request that, instead, we provide for their
accomplishing OSI to TCP transitions...

d/

--
Dave Crocker