[ih] When the words Internet was design to survive a nuclear war appeared for the first time?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Feb 14 10:05:39 PST 2019

My recollection is that the "survivability" theme became prominent in
the Reagan Era, with the advent of the "Star Wars" programs, aka
"Strategic Defense Initiative".  We found that where we had been
"working on the Internet project" we were suddenly "working on the
Strategic Defense Initiative", or SDI.  The main reason for that was
that the funding faucets moved.  I recall Danny Cohen giving a talk at
one of the quarterly Internet meetings about what SDI was and why we had
to care.

This had little noticeable effect on the people writing code and
building things, who mostly just continued to do what they had been
doing.  It did have an effect on things like writing proposals (to get
the next round of funding), since the $$s were all being directed at SDI.

I was involved in both situations.  It was interesting and often
challenging translating "what we wanted to build" into "why it's
critical to SDI" and vice versa.

So the answer to the question "when did people start saying that" will
probably depend strongly on which people you ask.

/Jack Haverty