[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 13 20:17:57 PST 2019

> NAT for non-IP was around much earlier. DECnet "hidden areas" were a
> form of NAT, and at CERN we NATted a home-built network in the early
> 1980s since it had (iirc) 6-bit host addresses. It was that experience
> that made me a NAT hater for evermore.

Were "hidden areas" really NAT?  I thought it was more a bastion host
that you could connect to / pass through (above the network layer) to
get to hosts in functionally private DECnet address space.

Could you cause DECnet packets / datagrams / frames / ??? coming in from
one side to forward out the other side, like destination NAT / port
forwarding?  Or was it only that DECnet nodes that knew about the
re-used / hidden areas could get to them.  Could hosts on the outside
have a route to the hidden area via the bastion?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die