[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:09:57 PST 2019

Dave,

NAT/private address spaces was as important as CIDR to allow the Internet
to keep growing.

CIDR came first. By mid-to-late 1992, it was clear that we were running out
of class A and B network numbers.  The resulting CIDR work progressed quite
rapidly, and the RFCs were published in September 93.

CIDR allowed the allocation of lots of new more appropriately sized network
numbers. But that only exacerbated another problem, the explosion of the
global routing table size, which was putting a real strain on the backbone
routers' memory table size and routing processing capacity.

That lead to RFC 1597 in March of 1994, which defined class A, B, and C
private address spaces - our now familiar net 10, 192.168.X, and so on (it
was later updated and replaced by the more famous RFC 1918). That was
quickly followed by NAT (RFC 1631), published that following May.

The combination of CIDR, private address spaces, and NAT took a lot of
pressure off of the IPv4 address space exhaustion and routing table growth
problems.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Cheers,
Andy