[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Feb 13 17:11:55 PST 2019

Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> writes:

> I think what you're seeing is that the various people and groups
> working on "the Internet" in the early times (80s) didn't have the
> same view of the goal.

I think this is a very good split of approaches.

> The "let's experiment with new ideas for routing, protocols,
> congestion control, etc." crowd saw 32 bits as plenty for what they
> envisioned doing. This would include a lot of the DARPA "experimental"
> work. I suspect Vint didn't want yet another major change to TCP/IP to
> halt other experimental work in how to use the Internet for the year
> or two it would take to change all the software again.
>
> The "how do we build something for the whole planet" crowd saw 32 bits
> as totally inadequate. This would include the emerging ISPs who wanted
> a big market,

ISPs as I know them didn't start to emerge until about 1987 (uunet), and
1988 (netcom).

> and the ISO designers targeting the long vision. These
> efforts produced a lot of paper, and software and hardware that worked
> if you adopted their particular "walled garden", but nothing with
> TCP/IP's universality that was embodied in things you could actually
> buy.
>
> IMHO, both were right in their positions. They were simply working on
> different problems, and probably didn't realize it at the time.
>
> TCP/IP was later widely viewed as the "interim system" to be used
> outside of the experimental world, while the ISO et al were getting
> the final system in place. It worked well enough, and much better than
> anything else that was available. Plus there was a small army named
> IETF tweaking and patching the system to solve operational problems
> that came up.
>
> That "interim solution" viewpoint sidestepped a lot of bureaucratic
> obstacles since it was easier to get approvals, and fight fewer
> battles, for an interim stopgap.

I think the IP stack's development vs the other stacks' development
were one of the first cases of lessig's "code is law" dictum. Also
the low entry cost (ISO standards *cost*), the earlier deployment
of running code, etc.

Still what astonished me back then was that IPX/SPX wasn't successfully
extended - it ruled the lan then outside of the few campuses that had
tcp/ip. It fit into 64k. It was far from certain up until, oh, 1995 or
so, that IPv4 "would win", not just against decnet, ipx/spx, netbui, but
against ipv6!