[ih] Run TENEX in emulation?

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Thu Feb 7 02:31:28 PST 2019

Fwiw...

> On Feb 6, 2019, at 9:10 PM, Stephen Casner <casner at acm.org> wrote:
>
> Sadly, when I left
> ISI I did not personally save as many files as I now wish I would
> have,

I saved quite a bit, but even then it was a static save. It’s not like I can run old NeXT code.

> and ISI has not kept this history, either.

They’re legendary in their loss of archives, eg when they closed their tech lib and tossed all the tech reports instead of shipping them to campus, not to mention recent permanent losses of both email and files.  And backups were only on-site and only within months at best unless we managed them ourselves.

But we never received support to archive as we went. Nobody does. Even escrowing data sets over the currently required periods can be problematic.

I’m not sure there is a workable solution as long as those who reap revenue off tech don’t have to pay royalties back in for such archives.

Joe