[ih] RIP Danny Cohen

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Wed Aug 14 05:57:52 PDT 2019

I got to work a little bit with Danny and also remember his humor.  We used
to tease each other occasionally and one of my favorite memories is when I
created a set of stationary (paper and envelopes) for Oceanview University
and used it to send him a  letter informing him that he'd overstayed his
sabbatical and was needed back on campus.  He said receiving the envelope
emblazoned Oceanview gave him a moment's pause and concern that perhaps
there was such a university after all...

Craig

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:59 PM Ross Callon <rwcallon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am so sorry to hear about this.
>
> I am of course aware of his very significant technical work. However, I
> remember him best for his superb humor. I still have a copy of his “The
> world according to Finnegan”, which is a collection of his humorous works.
> Like most good humor, it is of course entirely correct and offers a unique
> insight into the world. I will re-read it and be thankful to have known
> him.
>
> Ross
>
> On Aug 13, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Stephen Casner <casner at acm.org> wrote:
>
> Barbara Tversky informed me that Danny Cohen died yesterday morning,
> peacefully at home.
>
> We have lost another major figure in the development of Internet
> protocols, particularly those related to packet audio and video.
> Danny was my supervisor and mentor for several years at the beginning
> of my career, so he played a big role in my professional development.
> I was able to partially repay that debt by providing occasional tech
> support during his later years as Parkinsons reduced his physical
> abilities but never his wit.  We will miss him.
>
>                                                        -- Steve
> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and