[ih] Internet History - from Community to Big Tech?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Apr 1 15:39:20 PDT 2019

On 4/1/2019 12:34 PM, Richard Bennett wrote:
> The name Ethernet has survived, but the networks we call Ethernets today
> don’t share much with the Bluebook Ethernet beyond the frame format.

This highlights the basic distinction between 'interace spec' and 'wire
spec'.

The operation over the wire can be completely different -- as current
ethernet is compared with the coaxed version -- while remaining
compatible at the interface.  (Netbios was another example, with the
various versions over TCP being completely different than the
unpublished, original Sytek version.)

d/

--
Dave Crocker