[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Mar 12 14:31:24 PDT 2018

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> The first server in the US was set up by Paul Kunz at SLAC. As far as I
> know he did it because he wanted to, not because anybody approved it.

everywhere i worked in the 1980's we hid our internet related costs in
the phone bill and stonewalled the auditors if any. i remember the day
brian reid told me to list gatekeeper.dec.com in my budget request for
the coming year, and i remember thinking, wow, how far we have come. he
and richard johnsson had been skunkworking it for years before i arrived.

i think this informs us not just about the history of the internet and
the nature of disruptive innovation, but something dark about human nature.

--
P Vixie