[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:26:57 PST 2018

As a starting point, try
* Chapter 7 of "How the Web Was Born: The Story of the World Wide Web", James Gillies and Robert Cailliau, Oxford University Press, 2000.

There are also a few hints in:
* Chapter 3 of "Netscape Time: The Making of the Billion-Dollar Start-Up That Took on Microsoft", Jim Clark with Owen Edwards, St Martins Press, 1999.
* Chapter 6 of "Weaving the Web", Tim Berners-Lee with Mark Fischetti, HarperCollins, 1999.

My impression is that, like the original server and browsers at CERN, this was a samizdat project mainly unknown to the management. Jim Clark is quite rude about NCSA management, in fact. The original http daemon was from CERN in any case (http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html).

Regards
   Brian