[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:17:40 PDT 2018

On 13/03/2018 05:05, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Thanks to all who've provided pointers - but, unfortunately, the oral
> and written histories are pretty vague about the NCSA organization &
> players - which is what I'm really trying to uncover.
>
> I'm trying to understand the organizational histories & climates that
> spawned the web - and that involves the managers, not just the workers.

The managers? Most of them had no idea. At CERN, Mike Sendall (Tim's
group leader) and David Williams (deputy division leader, later the
actual division leader) both stated later that their main contribution to
the web was not stopping the project, which was unfunded and unauthorised.
Somebody paid for a couple of NeXts but I'm pretty sure that was for
some other project. Please read the Gilles and Cailliau book for details.

The first server in the US was set up by Paul Kunz at SLAC. As far as I
know he did it because he wanted to, not because anybody approved it.
That was ceratinly Paul's style. I believe the second server in the US was
set up by David Martin at Fermilab. Ask him (he's at Argonne now, dem at alcf.anl.gov).

A management culture of not interfering with smart people was the key.
Classical skunk works.

> How we got from public ftp archives, to MIT Techinfo, to gopher, to
> TBL's early web - the organizational motivations/environmnts that led to
> the initial development of each, their promulgation, their eventual
> subsumption by today's web.
>
> A lot of it's pretty well documented, and I have some personal knowledge
> of some of the people & events, but the events at NCSA are less
> visible.  IMHO, if it had not been for Mosaic and the NCSA HTTPd, the
> HTTP/HTML web would have eventually gone the way of gopher, replaced by
> something even newer and shinier.

In 1992, Tim knew that a good browser was the key and he worked on stimulating
that. If it hadn't been Mosaic in late 1992, it would have been something else
in 1993, I think. Single-ended hyperlinks really provided a more powerful
paradigm than gopher, WAIS or Archie which were the main alternatives.

> Andreessen, Bina, and McCool took the
> web from laboratory prototype to "industrial strength."  I'd kind of
> like to understand the environment in which that happened.

The Jim Clark book answers that. It's rather self-serving, but it was because
Jim was an experienced entrepreneur and ran into Andreesen that Netscape
became "industrial". NSCA management was a hindrance, not a help. They
didn't get out of the way.

> By analogy.  Licklider set the stage for lots of things - both at BBN,
> and at ARPA - paving the way for lots of things.

I'm not sure the analogy holds. NCSA doesn't seem to have operated
as a skunk works, and they viewed networking as a form of plumbing.
I get the feeling that Mosaic was a bit of an outlier in their history;
NSFnet and bandwidth was the main story.

1997 interview with Larry Smarr: https://vimeo.com/6982439

    Brian