[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Mar 12 10:32:12 PDT 2018

Hi Miles,

In dissecting "organizational histories ... motivations", it might be
interesting to look at the financial aspects - not only who paid for
what and when, but what benefit did they expect to get in return, wnd when.

It's the old adage - Follow The Money.  IMHO, somewhere along the
timeline from the 60s to today, the climate switched from a largely
technical focus (how can we make this work?) to a largely financial
focus (how can we make money out of this?).  That, IMHO, dictated the
development of what we have today far more than technical merits.

I remember, back in the early 90s, that you had to pay for a license to
use a browser.  That may have been a pivotal historical event, when IIRC
"apps" beforehand had been free to FTP.

/Jack