[ih] anybody know the history of the group at NCSA that developed Mosaic & HTTPd?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Mar 10 16:51:46 PST 2018

you should talk to Marc! The effort was not sanctioned as an NCSA project
any more than was the WWW at CERN. It was a kind of skunkworks project that
really got a lot of attention when it was released. Jim Clark, then CEO of
Silicon Graphics, came to NCSA and persuaded Marc Andreessen and Eric Bina
(and others?) to come to Silicon Valley to start Netscape Communications in
1994.

vint

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm wondering - does anybody here know the history of the group at NCSA
> that spawned Mosaic and httpd - like where it fit on the organization
> chart, who ran it, who Andreessen, Bina, and McCool actually worked for?
>
> I'm trying to understand the environment that spawned the enabled the
> folks to take Berners-Lee's basic stuff, and make it ready for prime
> time, so to speak.
>
> Any insights?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miles Fidelman