[ih] Reporter query on the history of greater-than in quoted replies

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jul 22 16:22:55 PDT 2018

> My >>memory<< was use of mbox was driven by ATT not outside like ArpaNet needs (which drove Rand).

Oh, definitely.  The earliest AT&T Unix I used in about 1975 had mbox
mailboxes which are clearly a hack someone invented in about two minutes
when he realized that he'd save a lot of disk space by putting all the
mail in one file rather than a file per message.

I don't remember whether they did >From quoting before the v7 mail program
I found.

R's,
John