[ih] Reporter query on the history of greater-than in quoted replies

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Jul 22 14:06:52 PDT 2018

>>From my experience it's not only persistent but also necessary, resulting
> from the continued use of Unix mailbox
> fromat in all kinds of mail UA implementations.

It represents a basic failure to keep a local hack local.  It's fine if
the local implementation needs to do something special to preserve data
integrity.  It is NOT fine for that modification of the data to escape
into the wild.

While the particular example is benign and even a bit amusing, it
highlights the need for implementation efforts that make changes made to
incoming data to reverse them on outgoing data.

d/

d/

--
Dave Crocker