[ih] Early email systems

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Jul 17 20:35:51 PDT 2018

On 7/17/2018 8:22 PM, ian.peter at ianpeter.com wrote:
> Perhaps I should explain further about the MAILER-Daemon notifications:
> I thought someone here might know.
>
> I know the term Daemon has been used since the 1960s to describe various

Unix was created in 1969.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computing):

    "The term was coined by the programmers of MIT's Project MAC."

> UNIX background processes: what I am looking for is an understanding
> about how they became invoked in email systems: were they perhaps part
> of POP of IMAP protocols? Or introduced in some other way when an email
> goes astray or to an unknown address?

Pop was much later.  IMAP was much, /much/ later.

I think you are looking for asynchronous return error messages, and I
don't remember when those first started showing up. Messages were being
queued for asynchronous transfer -- and therefore asynchronous error
handling -- by the mid-/late-70s.

> Thanks for the information on sndmsg Dave - I thought that would be the
> case, and I think that is enough info for me on that. Somebody asked me
> these questions, I think maybe something to do with a patent application
> lawsuit, but as IANAT (I am not a techhead) I didn't feel I could answer
> adequately and I thought people here might be able to help.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking