[ih] Early Internet history

Steven G. Huter sghuter at nsrc.org
Tue Jul 10 16:01:47 PDT 2018

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> As for the collection of hosts relaying mail over UUCP, we always referred to
> it as "the UUCP network."  It was all very adhoc, with many private links.
> When we talked about "the UUCP network" it generally referred to the hosts
> exchanging mail as defined in the monthly UUCP maps, published in the
> comp.mail.maps newsgroup.

for a snapshot from November 1989, nearly 30 years ago, as South Africa
started its transition from FidoNet to a UUCP mail feed to Rhodes
University...

Subject: two hours, uucp, uunet, modems, the universe, and everything

https://nsrc.org/db/lookup/report.php?id=898128827821:488960662&fromISO=ZA

this eventually resulted in Randy Bush and colleagues at Rhodes
University facilitating connections to neighboring countries via UUCP,
and was the beginning of the stepping stones that led to the first TCP/IP
links in a number of countries in Africa.

Steve Huter