[ih] Early Internet history and other stuff

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 14:18:42 PDT 2018

>>reminds me of my surprise to find there was a popular
>>brand of bread, BIMBO, in Spain...
>
> Bimbo is the largest commercial baker in the US, but outside of Latino
> markets they use other brand names like Thomas, Arnold, Entenmanns,
> and Sara Lee.

They're slowly raising their head above the parapet.
Bimbo USA HQ is outside Philadelphia, so they've bought shirt
sponsorship for the MLS Philadelphia Union.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Union#Sponsorship

So we have an American pro-athlete team proudly wearing "Bimbo" at every game.

(And for what it's worth, "bimbo" is masculine in the original
Italian, and so originally was a synonym for gigolo.
There was an attempt to retrocoin "bimbette" in the 1980s but it
hasn't taken off.
See Google Ngram.
)