[ih] Obscure e-mail systems

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Sun Jul 8 06:32:02 PDT 2018

?John Levine wrote:

> I discovered that there was a usenet node at the FAA test center in
> Pomona NJ which due to a quirk of telegeography was a local call even
> though it was over 30 miles away.

RELCOM provided the gateway between Russia and Finland at the time of the Russian coup attempt of 1991 (http://cis471.blogspot.com/2011/01/before-twitter-revolutions-there-was.html).

About a week before the coup attempt, I was at a party at the home of RELCOM co-founder Vadim Antonov (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadim_Antonov) and noticed a terminal in his living room. It turned out that calls in Moscow were free at the time and Vadim had not hung up the connection to his office for six months.

Larry?

?