[ih] mssage vs. packet (was: Re: Early Internet history)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Jul 7 17:48:18 PDT 2018

As The Judge recently pointed out, it's impossible to define colloquial
technical terms like "email".  I suspect "message" and "packet" are
similarly imprecise.

Personally, I've always thought that the distinction is that a "message"
is a self-contained and complete unit of information, that makes sense
to both the endpoint sender and receiver.  You send a whole "message" to
some destination, and the destination can only use it after the entire
message is received.

A "packet" is something that some communications mechanism uses to
actually transport data, driven by pragmatic and engineering concerns.
E.g., packet sizes might be set based on expected error rates due to noise.

So, messages get chopped up into packets; or maybe even several messages
get packaged into one packet.  It's up to the communications machinery
(or its designers) to decide, based on local conditions.

Messages get sent between users, who decide what constitutes a complete
unit of useful information.

Of course, one player's packets might also actually be another player's
messages.  SMTP messages get carved up into IP datagrams which were
carved up into pieces that were sent between endpoint IMPs, which were
carved up into other pieces that actually traversed wires between IMPs.
These chunks were packets or messages depending on your viewpoint.

/Jack