[ih] mssage vs. packet (was: Re: Early Internet history)

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sat Jul 7 16:15:43 PDT 2018

> Kleinrock's analysis was for message switching but the mathematics of
> message switching and packet switching are essentially comparable
> especially when you consider variable length messages.

Howdy.

A question to the group...

That distinction coincidentally surfaced in a discussion a couple of
months ago, after some decades of my not hearing it.

I know what it meant on the Arpanet.  And I know what wikipedia and some
other entries say about it.  But while the ability to handle smaller
chunks independently -- and even in an overlapping manner -- encourages
some useful performance improvements, I find myself generally thinking
of them as the same category of communications technology.

Namely:  Discrete segments of data being handled through a network.
Certainly for some form of multiplexing and possibly with dynamic
routing.  (These days, we'd take stat mux and dynamic routing as
inherent, but my recollection is that 45 years ago, those were
variations being played with.)

I'm not looking to re-start the religious wars on the distinction but am
curious whether, from the perspective of those 45 years and global
scaling, it is fair to have most discussions -- I emphasize most, not
all -- treat them as the same construct?

If not, why not?

d/
--
Dave Crocker