[ih] Early Internet history

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jul 7 08:45:51 PDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:52 AM, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> In the 70’s the Murray Hill team was more oriented towards circuit
> switching than packet switching. Although uucp was an ad-hoc solution,
> maybe Mike Lesk’s thinking in ’76 was that uucp could eventually run over
> Spider/Datakit networks. In such a setup routing would be a thing that uucp
> delegated to the network.

​Well yes, the whole telephony idea was a full connectivity like the phone
system, so host!user by definition made sense.   The problem was UUCP added
host1!host...n!user semantics which broke that model.    I remember talking
to Chesson about it once​ who was the Datakit architect.

I admit, I do not 'know' but I >>suspect<< it was just not something anyone
considered less because of circuit switching and more because the scale was
small (local-ish) originally.

I wish Greg were still here to ask more questions ;-)

Clem
ᐧ