[ih] Early Internet history

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri Jul 6 11:53:18 PDT 2018

> That's a good point.  I too remember USENET as referring more to the
> newsgroups than to uucp transport.

Yes, Usenet was the collection of newsgroups, originally shipped over
UUCP.

> Do I recall correctly that "uunet" was the term used to denote the
> network of machines that could be reached by bang path addressing?

No, 'uunet' was a commercial UUCP hub, started up by Rick Adams.  It
handled a great volume of mail and news traffic, as well as an extensive
public file archive.  It eventually morphed into Alternet, one of the
very first commercial Internet providers.

As for the collection of hosts relaying mail over UUCP, we always referred
to it as "the UUCP network."  It was all very adhoc, with many private
links.  When we talked about "the UUCP network" it generally referred to
the hosts exchanging mail as defined in the monthly UUCP maps, published
in the comp.mail.maps newsgroup.

--lyndon