[ih] Early Internet history

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Jul 6 11:00:03 PDT 2018

While we were debating and evolving TCP2 into TCP4, circa 1979-80 or so,
I remember thinking about my four years of Latin classes in high school,
where I coincidentally learned quite a lot of Roman history and what
life was like in the Roman Empire.

It turned out that the Roman empire had a problem of scale.  As it got
larger, it became increasingly difficult for outlying parts of the
Empire to reliably and securely communicate with Rome.  Caesar wanted
quick, reliable, and secure communications with his Armies and
Governors.  And he couldn't find a suitable ISP...

The commanders in the field used a variety of techniques to communicate.
 Messages were written (Packetized?) on some convenient media by
Scribes.  They were handed to Couriers.  To improve reliability, several
Couriers would be sent with the same message, by diverse means and
routes (one on foot, one on a ship, etc.).   Local knowledge (soldier in
charge of the local garrison) could tell the courier where best to head
next (Routing), based on current conditions.  If no reply was received
in a reasonable time, more Couriers could be sent.  More resources could
be allocated, i.e., more Couriers and Scribes (Multi-Channel?) for
really important messages.  Slaves were cheaper than T1 circuits.  For
really secret messages, the text could be split apart (fragmented?) and
pieces put into separate messages, so that the message could be
understood only when the pieces were re-united (reassembled?) at the
destination.  Caesar had reliable, secure, and state-of-the-art fast
communications.

Several thousand years later, the Postal System adopted similar
techniques, adapted to the technology of the day.  Circa 1980, so did
The Internet.

Caesar probably wasn't the first...  Maybe the Assyrians?

/Jack