[ih] Early Internet history

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Jul 6 10:33:09 PDT 2018

Two quick comments:

1. one could argue that Internet eventually got linked to BITNET by way
of relays. :-)
No my first comment was that as BITNET was a store and forward network,
to my knowledge the only gateways there were, were email gateways. Or do
you remember of a way to interface from a BITNet real time session to
TCP/IP?

2. My understanding of USENET is that it was not a network as such, but
most people referred to it as the system of newsgroups using a clever
hierarchy and peer to peer for dissemination (NNTP). Again, it was a
store and forward network, this time using the UUCP suite and dial-up.
Ironically most USENET traffic as well as UUCP traffic eventually ended
up carried on TCP-IP. Still working these days.

Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 06/07/2018 14:27, Vint Cerf wrote:
> BITNET and USENET eventually linked to INTERNET by way of email relays.

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 8:09 AM, Scott O. Bradner <sob at sobco.com
> <mailto:sob at sobco.com>> wrote:
>

>     > On Jul 6, 2018, at 12:45 AM, Miles Fidelman
>     <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net <mailto:mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>>
>     wrote:
>     >

>     >
>     > And, I believe that both USENET (or at least UUCP) and BITNET
>     predated
>     > the TCP/IP cutover by a couple of years.  They were both
>     decentralized
>     > and "operated independently but cooperatively by more than one
>     > organization."
>
>     TCP/IP - developed in mid 1970s
>     BITNET - founded 1981 by Ira Fuchs
>     USENET - established in 1980 by Tom Truscott
>             (UUCP was the file copy protocol not the system)
>     TCP/IP cutover - 1983
>

>     _______
>     internet-history mailing list
>     internet-history at postel.org <mailto:internet-history at postel.org>