[ih] Early Internet history

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Thu Jul 5 17:11:37 PDT 2018

Telegraph had an interesting way of bridging incompatible national networks. At national boundaries, PTTs had terminals for their own network and for their neighbors'. When messages came in, they were written down and then carried to operators of the desired terminal by office boys. The messages were then rekeyed and sent on their way.