[ih] Fwd: Re: Early Internet history

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:59:52 PDT 2018

On 06/07/2018 03:34, Jack Haverty wrote:
> I was in Paris recently and spent several hours at the Musee des Arts et
> Metiers, essentially a museum of technology.  One section is devoted to
> "Communications".  I noticed one display cabinet containing a machine
> that was somehow used to "allow several telegraph operators to share the
> same wire" - so I guess Multiplexing has been around since the 19th century.

It was perceived as a requirement very early. Wikipedia dates it to the 1870s.
But I think the first really successful version was the "Murray Multiplex" in
about 1909. My colleague Bob Doran has studied Donald Murray's works at some length:
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/historydisplays/FifthFloor/Murray/MurraySpielLR.pdf

   Brian