[ih] Review: Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley"

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Jul 4 09:11:54 PDT 2018

On 7/3/2018 8:47 PM, Eric Gade wrote:
> Regarding PARC, my understanding from reading the historical literature
> is that it's best to view what happened there as a kind of "last gasp"
> of the ARPA research community. There were lots of ARPA project alumni
> there (some two "academic generations" deep in ARPA research) and Bob
> Taylor helped run the show in its prime.

Eric,

With some trepidation that I'm taking the bait, I'll ask for
clarification about your choice of phrasing with "last gasp".  In
several ways it doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, there were folk from the Arpanet community who sent to PARC and
some/much of the PARC work followed-on from Arpanet-related work, but a)
the PARC work went for quite awhile; b) the PARC work did a wide variety
of things that had major effects; c) the remaining Arpanet community
went on for quite awhile -- well, really, is still going; and d) it also
did a wide variety of things that had major effects.

One thinks of 'last gasp' as constrained in time and effect (and
typically with limited efficacy.)

Hence my confusion.

d/

--