[ih] Review: Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley"

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Jul 3 17:39:29 PDT 2018

On 7/2/2018 10:05 AM, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> don’t know, I would count the iPhone as a “big invention”. It completely
> changed mobile telephony and created the entire app market.

The iPhone popularized a concept but was arguably not first-mover to it.

I'm not sure whether this is entirely accurate, by my own experience
would give Handspring the credit for hitting the milestone, and General
Magic for establishing the target (with Newton being an odd form of
take-back by Apple, since GM was a spinoff.)

The point is that for both examples, it took companies that were not
embedded in the main corporate culture (as indeed PARC was not).

The momentum, immediacy and encrusted bureaucracy of essentially all
larger companies makes it exceedingly difficult for any of them to
start, nurture and protect a serious innovation environment.

While there are exceptions sprinkled over time, they are only that.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking