[ih] Review: Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley"

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jul 2 08:59:35 PDT 2018

    > As promised, here is my review of Surveillance Valley.

Content-wise, quite good. I had only one minor quibble:

  But the lesson to remember from history is that companies on their own are
  incapable of big inventions like personal computing or the internet.

Generally true, but it's not impossible: look at Xerox PARC. So "usually
incapable" would have been better.

And two editorial nits that drive me crazy: i) It's 'the Internet'
(capitalized); there are many internets, but only one Internet, just as there
are many white houses, but only one White House. ii) 'her xxx' (for a generic
person) is in no way a real improvement over 'his xxx'; 'their xxx' is an
allowed form for an indeterminate singular person of no particular gender.

	Noel