[ih] BBN C-series computers

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 06:11:54 PDT 2017

Paul,

See http://walden-family.com/bbn/bbn-print2.pdf and search repeatedly
for "C/30" for some not-too-deep information on the C series of machines.

See http://walden-family.com/impcode/imp-code.pdf and read the section
found by searching for "MBB" for a bit for a high level timeline of how
the H516/316 IMP code transitioned to the C/30, etc., and evolved there.

See M.F. Kraley et al., “Design of a User-Microprogrammable Building
Block,” Proc. 13th Ann. Microprogramming Workshop, Colorado Springs,
1980, pp. 106–114, for more about the hardware base on which the C/30
etc. were built.

Some of the people exBBN people on this list might have worked on those
machines.  If you are working on a research paper, I can put you in
touch with people not on this list who worked on these systems.

Dave

On 10/21/2017 7:54 AM, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:
> I'm trying to get a better understanding of the BBN C30, C70 and C60 machines. Google seems to yield little relevant info for them.
>
> >From brief references in other documents my understanding is that these were microprogrammable machines with 10-bit bytes and 20-bit addresses. Maybe they were all the same machine in different configurations.
>
> I think the C30 was used to replace the 316/516 as IMP's from 1980 onwards. The C70 seems to have been a "Unix machine", perhaps targeted at a role as gateway (router). The C60 seems to have been a general purpose version for the broader market.
>
> Any further info about these machines welcome.
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org

12 Linden Road, East Sandwich, 02537
landline=508-888-7655; cell=774-205-3202
website=walden-family.com