[ih] BBN C-series computers

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Oct 21 06:02:38 PDT 2017

The BBN guys will have to respond but I recall contracting with them for an
X.25 network for MCI Mail in 1983. Originally I think the CXX's emulated
the BBN 1822 interface as a substitute for IMPs that used the Honeywell
DDP-X16 processors. Their commecial offerings used X.25 which was a popular
standard during the late 1970s and was widely used until the early 2000s (I
shut down MCI's X.25 services around 2003) and might still be used in
banking/financial transactions system if they haven't all been moved over
to TCP/IP by now.

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a better understanding of the BBN C30, C70 and C60
> machines. Google seems to yield little relevant info for them.
>
> >From brief references in other documents my understanding is that these
> were microprogrammable machines with 10-bit bytes and 20-bit addresses.
> Maybe they were all the same machine in different configurations.
>
> I think the C30 was used to replace the 316/516 as IMP's from 1980
> onwards. The C70 seems to have been a "Unix machine", perhaps targeted at a
> role as gateway (router). The C60 seems to have been a general purpose
> version for the broader market.
>
> Any further info about these machines welcome.
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org

New postal address: