[ih] Early sockets discussion paper

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Nov 30 11:16:39 PST 2017

    > From: Vint Cerf

    > The spec, however, did not specify the API - only the information that
    > the API needed to support.

Well, the spec did contain what's effectively a _sample_ API, although there
was no _mandated_ one. From section "3.8. Interfaces", from RFC-793:

    we must warn readers that different TCP implementations may have different
    user interfaces.  However, all TCPs must provide a certain minimum set of
    services ...  This section specifies the functional interfaces required of
    all TCP implementations.

And then it lists things like:

      Send

        Format:  SEND (local connection name, buffer address, byte
        count, PUSH flag, URGENT flag [,timeout])

I have this memory that for the interface on the TCP I did, I relied heavily
on that section of the spec.

(Or am I confused, and confusing that with the _packet processing_, where I
definitely did slavishly follow the spec? I still have the source somewhere, I
could check... :-)

       Noel