[ih] Early sockets discussion paper

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Nov 30 11:04:28 PST 2017

FYI, for TCP on Unix:
	- there was no TCP V1 implementation
	- there was a TCP V2 implementation (I personally did this one) based
on the prior LSI-11 MOS TCP done at SRI; the TCP was itself a user
process, and other processes interfaced to TCP through Rand ports
	- there was no TCP V3 implementation (V3 had a very short life)
	- there were multiple TCP V4 implementations: my V2 implementation was
evolved to do V4; Mike Wingfield did PDP-11/70; Rob Gurwitz did the Vax;
John Sax did the HP-3000
	- BSD TCP came after all of these

Also, the user interface to TCP was explicitly not specified in the TCP
definition.  The interface outlined in the spec was presented as an
example only.  We did this explicitly because there were so many
different machines and OSes and languages at the time that a standard
mandatory API was not reasonable.

IIRC,
/Jack