[ih] Early sockets discussion paper

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Tue Nov 28 14:41:19 PST 2017

Yes, it is broader.

According to Kirk McKusick the discussion paper evolved into the 4.2BSD system manual, which is TR/5. That report survived in its revised 1983 form:
http://www.cilinder.be/docs/bsd/4.2BSD_Unix_system_manual.pdf
The chapter on IPC would be my focus. That said, the (abandoned) network 'portal' facility is described under the chapter on file system functionality.

There are also 'networking implementation notes', which is report TR/6. That too survived in its revised 1983 form:
https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1983/CSD-83-146.pdf

Finding 1982 versions of TR/5 and/or TR/6 would also be highly interesting.

Paul