[ih] Early sockets discussion paper

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Tue Nov 28 14:13:47 PST 2017

Hi Paul:

Alas I don't have the TR.  It actually sounds like a broader discussion of
the overall BSD effort from its title.

I do recall reading Rob Gurwitz' review of a discussion paper about sockets
and how to revamp the networking code.

Craig

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> I'm hoping someone on this list can help me locating an ancient Berkeley
> report: "CSRG TR/4: Proposals for the Enhancement of Unix on the Vax" (1981)
> This tech report probably contains the first draft of what would become
> the BSD sockets interface in the next two years.
>
> A bit of background: to guide the development of 4.2BSD a Steering
> Committee was formed consisting of Bob Fabry, Bill Joy and Sam Leffler from
> UCB, Alan Nemeth and Rob Gurwitz from BBN, Dennis Ritchie from Bell Labs,
> Keith Lantz from Stanford, Rick Rashid from Carnegie-Mellon, Bert Halstead
> from MIT, Dan Lynch from ISI and Gerald J. Popek of UCLA. In the autumn of
> 1981 a discussion paper was circulated, to kick off committee discussions.
> I think the TR/4 report is that discussion document.
>
> The TR/4 report does not seems to be in the Berkeley library, it is not in
> the CSRG archive, it is not in the (online public) DTIC archive and the
> folks on the Unix Heritage Society mailing list also don't appear to have
> it.
>
> Anybody on this list who knows about a surviving copy?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and