[ih] Origin of "best effort"

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Thu Jan 19 11:09:43 PST 2017

Hi Brian,
   This is actually an interesting question.
   During the 1990s we had a discussion in which this phrase came up,
used in the now-typical networking sense.
   One colleague in the conversation, a lawyer, who had done work in the
construction industry, found the usage very odd because, he said, in
contracts within that industry the phrase had a specific meaning and it
obliged a person/company to a very very high standard of "best effort".
In that context, for example, it might oblige a company to spend
money/effort to a degree that would keep a promise but ruin any hope for
making money in the deal.  He noted that we computer engineers were
using the term in an almost opposite (and, to him, an ironic) sense,
viz., "do whatever is normal, but *not* heroic, and if it works, good
and if it doesn't, don't worry about it".

   If the phrase is connected that older "contract language" usage, it
would indeed be interesting to see how it came to have almost a reversal
or sense.

	-- Guy