[ih] Origin of "best effort"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 17:35:38 PST 2017

I first heard it from Pouzin or Zimmermann. CYCLADES was the original “best effort” network.  Pouzin’s argument for a datagram network was that the hosts would check to ensure that all of the data was received, so the network didn’t have to be perfect. It only had to make a "best effort” so that it wasn’t too expensive to recover the errors.

Take care,
John